Re: Unicode Case Mappings UTR #21

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 12:46:53 EST

Carl W. Brown wrote:

> #3 French also has other articles such as d'.

Yes. But this one, contrary to "l'" can according to the context,
either be the contraction (élidé) of "de", or can be a genuine
part of a proper name... When it comes to titlecase, OTOH, "d'"
never becomes "D'", unless it is the very first word in a sentence,
while one can see "L'" inside a sentence.

> are there prescribed rules for capitalization?

You mean, "title casing" (capitalization would mean "uppercasing").
Yes, and they are quite complex, at least to my taste.

Title case is a pretty arcane matter in French (i.e., to determine
what should and what should not be written with an initial capital letter,
named "majuscule"). Some detailled ways are given (in French) in
<URL:http://www.orthotypographie.fr.st/>.

Antoine