Re: 16 bit character sets

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 14:27:01 EDT

We don't have Paul Clayton's e-mail address, but I assume you can forward
on, Magda?

SQL Server, ASP, and VB are all able to support UTF-16, which is a 16-bit
per code point encoding form. The term "16 bit character set" is a bit
unclear in its meaning, what exactly Paul is looking for here would probably
help a lot. Here are the caveats related to each of those technologies:

SQL Server: You do have to be using "W" data types to get this support.

ASP: Although all ASP scripting languages use UTF-16 for their strings, IIS
itself does not support UTF-16 so all information has to be converted when
sent down to the browser. You can set the "codepage" to use to UTF-8
(65001).

VB: Although its strings are UTF-16, a lot of its internals are not and it
does a lot of conversions behind the scenes. Depending on what the app is
doing, it might be okay though.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.