[OT] RE: UTF-8 Syntax

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 10:26:01 EDT

>Yes, all these uses may be internal to each
>vendor, but as Uma has stated, internal representation leaks out. If any
>significant number of vendors are going to be using this encoding
>internally in their systems, wouldn't it make sense to have a UTR
>describing what this representation is, when it is useful, and how to deal
>with data presented to you in that encoding should the situation arise?

That's one slant. I can easily imagine someone suggesting another: to have
a UTR describing what this representation is, why it's causing problems for
people, who have been known violators of the UTF-8 spec, and how the
Unicode Consortium almost took a bad turn in supporting this thing as a
standard. :-)

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>