UTF-8

From: Bill Kurmey (Bill.Kurmey@v-wave.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 01:43:10 EDT

When folks tell me not to worry as in my previous query, then I really do
get worried and try not to be hurried. (last clause not of semantic intent
but scans well.) 8-)

So a few points of clarification please.

Will the Unicode version of UTF-8 be registered with IANA and, if so, what
will be its "charset" designation?

Is the following an accurate statement of the present situation?

Currently, if an email client receives a message with "Content Type:"
containing "charset=UTF-8" and accepts up to 6 octets for each scalar
value, it would be considered "Unicode compliant." If it generated
messages with "Content Type:" containing "charset=UTF-8" and complied with
the IETF specification (RFC 2279) for generating UTF-8 8-bit values, it
would not be considered "Unicode compliant."

Bill Kurmey, Edmonton, AB, Canada