RE: xICU 3.0 Status - (Simplified Unicode Implementation)

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:26:54 EDT

Bill,

This product is not developed by the ICU development team. We at X.Net are
making this code available for people who are interested in implementing
ICU. This is designed to simplify ICU implementation if you choose to use
it. Even if you use it you can always invoke ICU directly.

I have helped a couple of clients implement ICU and this code is designed to
provide much of the same proprietary code that I had to develop for my
clients.

Besides the interface it also provides a few extra benefits. For example it
allows you to run ICU functions as a Apache extension and also provides
optional support that allows you for example to parse URLs for locale names.
It also provides a selectable override for Apache mime support to allows you
to organize locales by directory rather than and extra extension. This
makes managing paths easier for multi-lingual web sites.

Carl