Re: And Visions of Sugar Plum UTF-8's Dance in Their Heads

From: Jianping Yang (Jianping.Yang@oracle.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 21:27:37 EDT

Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> Jianping wrote:
>
> > One thing needs to clarify here is that there is no four byte encoding in
> > UTF-8S proposal and four byte encoding is illegal but not irregular. As
> > everything in UTF-8S is perfect match to UTF-16, any blame to this proposal
> > also applies to UTF-16 encoding form.
>
> Well after a couple months arguing about this, it is nice to have
> this little detail drop into place. Perhaps in another couple
> of months we could have a complete specification, and then
> restart the argument.

This is not truth. In its very beginning, we stated that the supplementary character
will be encoded as a pair of three bytes. That's why we have a new proposal,
otherwise the proposal will be groundless as it will be same as UTF-8.

> [BTW, as Peter has recently noted: 4 lines of new content, quoting my
> 234 lines of content, with no commentary interspersed. This rampant
> failure to edit reply-to's is threatening to bring the wrath of
> Sarasvati back down on the list, folks.]
>
> So, given the new information that the four byte form is illegal, not irregular,
> in UTF-8s, here is a revised summary of UTF-8s:

> Case III. Code points U-0000D800..U-0000DFFF included
> in the UTF's, using UTF-8s "The vision provided
> by the Oracle."
>
> code point UTF-8s UTF-16 UTF-32
>
> a. 00000000 <=> 00 0000 00000000
> b. 0000D700 <=> ED 9F BF D7FF 0000D7FF
> g. 0000E000 <=> EE 80 80 E000 0000E000
> h. 0000FFFF <=> EF BF BF FFFF 0000FFFF
> i. 00010000 <=> ED A0 80 ED B0 80 D800 DC00 00010000
> j. 0010FFFF <=> ED AF BF ED BF BF DBFF DFFF 0010FFFF
>
> Round-tripping isolated surrogate code points:
>
> c. 0000D800 <=> ED A0 80 D800 0000D800
> d. 0000DBFF <=> ED AF BF DBFF 0000DBFF
> e. 0000DC00 <=> ED B0 80 DC00 0000DC00
> f. 0000DFFF <=> EF BF BF DFFF 0000DFFF
>
> Code point sequences that do not round-trip from all UTF code
> unit sequences. (Could be termed "irregular code point
> sequences" --Ken):
>
> k. 0000D800 0000DC00 => ED A0 80 ED B0 80 D800 DC00 0000D800 0000DC00
> l. 0000DBFF 0000DFFF => ED AF BF ED BF BF DBFF DFFF 0000DBFF 0000DFFF

> What Jianping is saying now is that F0..F4 are illegal as
> initiators in UTF-8s. (They are legal initiators in UTF-8.)
>
> Also, judging from his statement that "everything in UTF-8S is
> perfect match to UTF-16", it is quite clear that UTF-8s does
> *not* meet the Unicode Standard's definition of a UTF. To be
> a UTF, it has to be a reversible transform of code points (or
> Unicode scalar values -- there is some argument about which).

Does UTF-16 meet? If UTF-16 does, UTF-8S should.

> But UTF-8s is designed and conceived as a CODE UNIT TRANSFORM
> of UTF-16. (A "CUT", not a "UTF".)
>
> Basically, instead of starting with the code points, and deriving
> the three UTF's, for UTF-8s you start with UTF-16 and derive
> UTF-8s directly from it. (This is why I have been pounding on
> the point that in order to understand the Oracle proposal, you
> have to think in terms of the UTF-16 <==> UTF-8 convertors,
> rather than in terms of the definitional UTF's.)

This is your perception.

> In other words, while others are seeing:
>
> U-00010000 ==> ED A0 80 ED B0 80 in UTF-8s
> ==> D800 DC00 in UTF-16
>
> Oracle is seeing:
>
> (D800)(DC00) <==> (ED A0 80)(ED B0 80)

That's also your perception but not Oracle as we already support standard UTF-8
encoding in 9i.

> and pointing out the tremendous simplicity of the fact that
> a code point, err... code unit in UTF-16 always corresponds
> *exactly* to a code point, errr... well a 1-, 2-, or 3- code
> unit sequence in UTF-8s that always corresponds to a, umm..
> character, well, sort of.

It is meaningless to examine each bytes of UTF-8S encoding, and this also applies to
UTF-8. What is code unit in UTF-8S should be 1-, 2- or 3-bytes unit, and one or two
code-unit will be one codepoint. If we still look at each byte of UTF-8S/UTF-S and
make random truncation, you will get meaningless bytes there. The best practice here
is that you have to treat this 1-, 2-, or 3-bytes encoding as one unit.

> Now, perhaps Jianping will care to step in an clarify how UTF-32
> fits in this picture. How, for example, are the irregular UTF-32
> sequences in k and l above to be treated? As I have indicated?
> (in which case, as Peter points out, there is an ambiguity in
> the interpretation of any 6-byte UTF-8s representation) Or in
> some other manner? And if so, how so?

Before answering these questions, just replace UTF-8S by UTF-16, can you give me
good answers here? If this is any ambiguity for UTF-8S, so as UTF-16.

I don't think there is ground here to argue this syntax or semantics issue as UTF-8S
should meet the standard requirement exactly the same way as UTF-16. I think the key
issue here is its benefit and its implication to the implementor, and I think we
should get a best balance between these two.

Regards,
Jianping.