Re: UTF-8S: a modest proposal

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 13:20:03 EDT

>> By registering UTF-8S with IANA, it becomes a legitimate value of the
>> encoding declaration in an XML document, for example, as well as
suitable
>> for use in MIME labels.

>I believe that they also wanted it to be formally defined by the UTC,
>although certainly if that does not work they can always take the approach
>you cite.

But they have said "we're not planning to register this with IANA", and I
believe they've said as much because they have been trying to fend off the
concerns that several have expressed that if UTF-8s were to be sanctioned
in any way then everybody is going to have to support it. I'd submit that
the very fact that someone has suggested this be registered with IANA can
be construed to the validate those concerns.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>