Re: UTF-8S: a modest proposal

From: Edward Cherlin (Edward.Cherlin.SY.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 20:40:40 EDT

At 07:46 PM 6/12/2001, John Cowan wrote:
>I would urge Oracle and friends to move this to a different venue,
>specifically
>ietf-charsets@iana.org. As far as I can see, UTF-8S does not need either
>the approval or the disapproval of the Unicode Consortium. If it is
>actually in use, it needs a label -- and IANA is in the business of assigning
>such labels.

Yes, and it's time to put a stop to that for character sets. There are far
more than enough "assigned labels" for anyone.

>By registering UTF-8S with IANA,

No! No! A thousand times No! We must defend the honor of our names from all
who would desecrate them! Let them call it "CP1252s" if they want to trash
someone else's IP.

>it becomes a legitimate value of the
>encoding declaration in an XML document, for example, as well as suitable
for wrapping fish. (Reference intentional, and apologies to the fish)
>for use in MIME labels.

>--
>John Cowan cowan@ccil.org
>One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
> --Douglas Hofstadter

Yes, few could match Swift at art with sparks.