RE: font for bibliographic database!

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@druknet.net.bt)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 06:03:07 EDT

 Rajesh Chandrakar wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> In keeping in mind the multilingual bibliographic database, I would like
> to know :
>
> * is there any font, which do have contain all languages?

There are fonts such as Code2000 and Arial Unicode which contain glyphs for characters in almost all *scripts*.
However such fonts currently do not handle complex scripts, such as those used for writing Indian languages, well - nor to they contain language dependant glyph variants which you might need e.g. to handle CJK languages properly. Such fonts also tend to be very large and consume a lot of system resources.

> * is there any font for basically indian and its subcontinental
> languages?

No there is no one font which handles all Indic scripts properly. Microsoft are implementing of OpenType UI (system) fonts for Indic scripts (e.g. MS Mangal for Devanagari and MS Latha for Tamil) - and they soon should have fonts covering most major Indic scripts. I suspect similar fonts from other vendors aren't too far away either.

> * what would be better either single font or set of scripts?

IMO you're better off using a separate font for each script (or in some cases language & script). Current font file formats would not even allow you to have sufficient glyphs in a font to have all the glyph variants and ligatures you would need to render every script / language properly - and I think such a font would be at least 40mb in size and a nightmare to implement.

- Chris

DDC Dzongkha Computing Project
PO Box 122
Thimphu, BHUTAN