Re: UTFs, ACEs, and English horns

From: James (james@rf.net)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 21:34:23 EDT

There's already 2 Perl modules on CPAN that implement
ACE. These modules are already in use by ISPs for CJKV
iDNS registration. (One was packaged by me based on Paul Hoffman's
IMC code.) They are based on draft-ietf-idn-race-02.txt

So it seems like a done deal.

But let me know if there is a new standard that needs
Perl support.

James.

--
Perl, i18N and Unicode FAQ - iDNS section
http://rf.net/~james/perli18n.html#Q30b

DougEwell2@cs.com wrote: > > Last year I became aware of, and frustrated with, a new Unicode TES called > UTF-5, proposed in an Internet Draft by James Seng, Martin Dürst, and Tin Wee > Tan. It was intended for encoding internationalized domain names (IDN) > without breaking the existing DNS structure. It used a fairly clever scheme > of transforming the hex representation of a Unicode code point into a > variable-length byte sequence. However, I felt the Internet Draft was poorly > written: there were no guidelines as to which characters were to be encoded > and which (beyond the obvious U+002E) were not, and the examples (and > reference encoder and decoder at www.idns.org) were self-contradictory.