Re: Playing with Unicode (was: Re: UTF-17)

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 13:13:56 EDT

Am 2001-06-23 um 14:40 h EDT hat DougEwell2@cs.com geschrieben:
> To keep well-meaning people from misinterpreting humorous UTF proposals as
> serious, while still allowing the levity to flow freely, I hereby propose
> that UTFs proposed in a non-serious light be indicated in lower-case letters
> (e.g. utf-64, utf-17) while the serious UTFs and proposals should remain in
> upper-case (e.g. UTF-8, UTF-16).

To avoid possible misunderstandings, such as regarding Doug's Unicode
Compression Kludge as a duck, acronyms should continue being written
in upper-case letters.

Yet, I acknowledge the need to clearly mark humorous UTF propositions
for the unsuspicious. Hence, I'd like to suggest to enclose their
respective acronyms between \u202B and \u202C. This would be enough
hinting on the skewed nature of such suggestions while still indicating
their acronymic nature.

As any profound schemes, this suggestion deserves a proper acronymic
designator. I deem \u202AMUSED\u202C (acronymic mnemonics' unintended-
semantics evading denotation) appropriate.

Best wishes,
  Otto Stolz