The perfect solution for the UTF-8/16 discussion

From: jgo (john@nisus.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 13:30:56 EDT

> at Thu, 2001-06-21 11:16:20 -0700 Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>
> Abolish all in-process Unicode encodings except UTF-16.
> If everyone uses the same encoding form then there is no problem
> with different string lengths, results of binary comparisons, etc.
>
> Once we are here, abolish all little-endian UTF-16 implementations.
> This will save a lot of byte swapping, and binary comparisons can
> always be performed with memcmp().
>
> Heck, abolish all little-endian platforms and all platforms with
> integer widths other than 8, 16, 32, etc.

Yes, but forget 8, 16 and 32; go with only 64 and 128. Those tiny
little 32-bit words are another relic of Ill-Begotten Monstrosities.
Expand the Unicode code-space to make full use of those 16 octets
for each code-point (composition, swampization) and then use unified
fonts. And all the little 1 bits and all the little 0 bits can play
together all across the address space. I have a DREAM.

John G. Otto Nisus Software, Engineering
www.infoclick.com www.mathhelp.com www.nisus.com software4usa.com
EasyAlarms PowerSleuth NisusEMail NisusWriter MailKeeper QUED/M
                                                   Will program Macs for food.