Re: TOP/BOTTOM HORIZONTAL BOX LINE: new characters?

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 19:19:50 EDT

James Kass wrote:

> Should there be a distinction? If so, why?

Because typographic borders often have different glyphs for each side. They could either align differently with other glyphs, or show different (typically symmetric) ink. I suppose you could argue
that a layout engine should recognize when a U+2500 is used for a left side and when it is used for a right side, but that seems a bit too much for me.

> If right/left are to be distinguished, what would happen if the
> boxed text were RTL or bi-directional?

Right/left are already distinguished, without me doing anything. I am asking for top/bottom. I suppose you could turn around your question using top-to-bottom vs. bottom-to-top writting; naively, I
would answer: just transpose the effect of RTL vs. LTR on the characters for right/left.

Eric Muller.