Re: FW: transliteration

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 05:38:23 EDT

David Starner wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 03:30:50PM -0700, Magda Danish (Unicode) wrote:
> > I am looking for unicode fonts that include characters commonly used in
> > transliteration of non-roman languages. How would I be able to obtain
> > those fonts?
>
> If you're talking about characters that are available precomposed in
> Unicode, Arial Unicode (from Microsoft) or Plane2000 (only if the
> licensing on the first one is unacceptable - it's much lower quality)
> will include all the characters.

There are several well-populated Unicode fonts that can do a
reasonable job of rendering the pre-composed Latin characters
which might be required, but some characters which are commonly
used in transliteration are not pre-composed.

Unicode has a range of characters called "combining diacritics" with
which virtually any combination of base letter and diacritic can be
encoded. (Display of such combined letter-with-diacritic characters
is still in its infancy.)

In order to determine which of the available fonts best suits your
group's needs, please visit the web site of Alan Wood. Mr. Wood
has done an excellent job of organizing his site, which includes
links to many downloadable fonts, and a list of those fonts sorted
by the Unicode ranges supported.

http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/index.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,