RE: The trouble with text-sorting algorithms

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 14:24:27 EDT

        I do not believe we've seen any examples of words being sorted by
pronunciation here. However, higher level structures do participate in
sorting, and we have seen examples of this.

> I bet you could disturb the peace by wanting to know how to
> sort the Japanese word for "Japan" in Japanese. Does it sort
> before or after the pok

        It sorts on "日”, of course!

        :-p

        There are several sort orders of Kanji within dictionaries. In a
phrase dictionary, the sorting is traditional kana sorting - IIRC,
duplicated consonants sort last. You are much overdue to buy a learner's
dictionary. I recommend the Nelson. Also, you should get a phrase
dictionary - one of the better kept secrets of Japanese study.

/|/|ike