Re: [OT] o-circumflex

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 15:59:03 EDT

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, [ISO-2022-JP] てんどう瘢雹りゅう瘢雹じ wrote:

> If they can't agree on the pronunciation for these cities, can they
> agree on the Hanzi for them? What ARE the Hanzi for these cities,
> anyway??

Are you asking for the names of cities in Chinese? Copenhagen is
ge1ben3ha1gen1 \u54e5\u672c\u54c8\u6839. The Han characters used to write
the names of cities depends on many factors, including but not
limited to source spelling/pronunciation, language/dialect of the
rendering party, mapping rules used by the renderer, time period, etc.
For example, New York is rendered in Chinese as Mandarin niu3yue4
\u7d10\u7d04, lit. 'button-appointment' (nauyeuk in Cantonese), while in
Japanese it was at one time rendered as \u7d10\u80b2, lit.
'button-rearing'. Asking for the "hanzi" (from your wording, I don't
think you are just talking about Chinese usage of Han characters) is like
asking for a single Latin script rendering.

(I think you need to get yourself an English<->Chinese dictionary or
something, btw...)

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu