Re: [OT] o-circumflex

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 16:35:59 EDT

* Carl W. Brown

| You are quite correct that is why Unicode support differing
| collation strengths. Some times you only care about the actual
| letters without diacritics. But even then letters are locale
| sensitive. For example the Danish alphabet starts with an A and
| ends it with A ring above. A Dane would look for Alborg near the
| end of a list of towns.

This example doesn't apply to this discussions, since Danes and
Norwegians consider Å to be a separate letter. That is, it is not A
with ring above, but Å, which is not related to A any more than E is
related to F.

What J. M. Sykes writes about the lack of established sort orders
seems right to me. I've done consulting work for Norwegian
encyclopedia publishers, which involved developing their sorting
routines. The orders for the different publishers did differ, and it
is not so surprising given that there are a number of cases to
consider, such as how to sort diacritics, what to consider as
diacritics, how to sort numbers, Roman numerals, ordinals, and
whatnot.

--Lars M.