Re: PDUTR #26 posted

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 12:52:12 EDT

A few notes:

- IANA is a registry. I believe the only legitimate grounds that they have
for denying a registration is that it is incompletely specified or has a
misleading name. Whether or not the Unicode consortium registered CESU-8 or
not, someone else could (and probably would) do so.

- Just because it is in IANA does *not* mean that everyone will support it.
There are many encodings in IANA supported by very few people. Nor does it
mean that it is intended for widespread public use. The IANA registry is
also used as a general purpose registry, even for encodings that have
limited or restricted use.

- A significant reason for CESU-8 garnering enough support was that its
introduction allows the definition of UTF-8 itself to be tightened, to
formally exclude the 3-byte surrogates both in reading and writing.

Mark
—————

Πόλλ’ ἠπίστατο ἔργα, κακῶς δ’ ἠπίστατο πάντα — Όμήρου Μαργίτῃ
[http://www.macchiato.com]