Re: discontent about Indic scripts and Unicode

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 18:19:42 EDT

Jarkko reported:

> I happened across these links:
>
> http://acharya.iitm.ac.in/multi_sys/exist_codes.html
> http://acharya.iitm.ac.in/multi_sys/uni_iscii.html
>
> which do contain a nice discussion about ISCII but then they
> discuss Unicode in, ummm, somewhat negative terms.
>
> Myself knowing next to nothing about Indic scripts it would be nice
> to hear comments from someone who does know.

The Government of India is a member of the Unicode Consortium,
and has been engaged in a dialogue with the UTC about a number
of perceived problems in the Indic blocks. The UTC just received
and is in the process of responding to a long detailed list of
perceived problems and suggested improvements.

Some of the problems are merely missing characters or misleading
or missing annotations. Such problems can be readily fixed.

Some of the perceived problems have to do with misconceptions
about the relationship between the encoding and collation.
That has to be addressed basically by communication and
education, and by rolling out working implementations.

Some of the perceived problems are just the result of
fundamental disagreements about the encoding model, as mentioned
by MichKa, particularly for Tamil. On those, we have to agree
to disagree, and others may choose to implement local solutions
based on non-Unicode encodings.

> I do notice some misunderstanding about Unicode in the above links,
> quoting from the first one:

Disquieting, isn't it, how easy it is for people to misconstrue
something they don't understand, and then set up elaborate
arguments to critique their misconstruals.

--Ken