Arabic vs European digit shapes (was RE: numeric ordering)

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 08:19:27 EDT

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> > 2. In practice, are digits from different scripts ever mixed?
>
> I don't think this normally happens.

Yes, that happens in Persian contexts. There are texts that use both kind
of digits. Arabic-Extended ones for numerical values and European ones for
references to latin texts. For example, in a text of typographic quality,
one may use Eurpean digits for refering to Unicode "3.1.1", but
Arabic-Extended ones for the text's own page or section numbers. This is
becoming more and more used when refering to numbered versions of foreign
software.

But seeing a Latin "two" immediately adjacent to a Persian "one", or
seeing them in different fields of a section number, for example, no, I
have not seen such a thing.

> E.g., imagine mixing Arabic-Hindi digits with European digits: that would be
> a mess for the reader because Arabic digits "five" and "six" look almost
> identical to European digits "zero" and "seven".

1. No, we are talking about typewritten text, I guess. These digits are
clearly distinguished in such contexts in all the fonts I know.

2. BTW, Extended-Arabic variants of "five" and "six" are very different
from European "zero" and "seven", even when handwritten.

roozbeh