RE: Shape of the US Dollar Sign

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 10:26:24 EDT

Michka,

I have also heard that the dollar sign come from a U superimposed over an S
and the bottom of the U was dropped. This would be hard to do on a
typewriter because the two lines would be so close that they would be
indistinct and would fill with lint from the ribbon. I suspect that the
double line was changed to a single line to make a clearer type. As hand
writing has become less prevalent, you see fewer double line dollar signs.

Carl