Re: Missing Arabic and Syriac characters in Unicode

From: Majid Bhurgri (mbhurgri@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 10:52:09 EDT

>From: Philipp Reichmuth
>To: Roozbeh Pournader
>CC: Miikka-Markus Alhonen , Unicode List
>Subject: Re: Missing Arabic and Syriac characters in Unicode
>Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:54:17 +0200

>Hi folks!
>
>RP> At least not in the Korans I've seen. In those, Turned Damma is clearly
>RP> used to mark an /u:/ sound when a Waw is not there (and only that). It is
>RP> not an ornament in any way. I'm talking about Iranian Korans.
>
>It's clearly a character then. It definitely makes sense in an Iranian
>context from the viewpoint of the Persian use of Arabic script.
>
>BTW does it represent /u:/ or /u/? In the Qur'an, /u:/ would probably
>represented by Waw and would be read by a Persian as /u/, wouldn't it?
>While damma would be read as /o/. Could you point me to a location in
>an Iranian Qur'an where there is one of these?
>
>Greetings
> Philipp mailto:uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de
Inverted Damma, vertical Kasrah etc are accentuated Damma and Kasrah etc and these are variants (alternate ways) used extensively in Qurans published in India and Pakistan. In the Qurans published in Middle East these are usually represented by Damma followed by a small waw and Kasrah followed by a small yay. If anyone wished I could try scanning and sending you the examples from published copies of Quran. Since these are variants, one could (and I have) defined these as ligatures in fonts, so that when one wishes these to appear for a work published for people of certain area, all one has to do is change the font. Since these are two different ways of representing same vowel sounds, different unicode positions may not be advisable. In any case these are not ornamental or decorative marks, rather these are different way of representing existing unciode characters.

Regards

Abdul-Majid Bhurgri