Re: ü

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 15:36:48 EST

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:09:17PM -0500, Patrick Andries wrote:
> Seriously now, diacritics are an excellent idea when you have more
> phonemes than graphemes.

Only when used consistently. At the time "The Family Man" came out
(Winter of 2000), during the credits, my father asked me how you
pronounce "Téa" and what the accent meant. I didn't know. As both of us
are very intellegent people with some college education at the time, I'd
say that accents in English are useless for the vast majority of
Americans. Their meaning isn't covered in schools, and ç is used in one
English word that I know of, which means I have to memorize façade's
pronounciation just as if it were facade.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
What we've got is a blue-light special on truth. It's the hottest thing