RE: Microsoft's Japanese IME has no Unicode option

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 16:31:19 EST

There is a quite simple way to do what you want:

If you want to input directly into an HTML form on the Geocities site, all
you have to do is pull down your "view" menu (I presuppose IE here) and
choose "UTF-8" from the Encoding submenu. Since Geocities doesn't send a
META tag, your browser will now encode all of the data you type as UTF-8 for
you and those are the bytes that will get stored in your page on the
back-end. The reason you're getting Shift-JIS now is that your browser is
probably set to "Japanese auto-detect" and ASCII is certainly valid
Shift-JIS......

Note that adding a META tag to your page is a very good idea if you decide
to use UTF-8 as the encoding.

You can see that this works here:
http://www.geocities.com/apphillips2000/index.html

You will note that I included a META tag. Otherwise you have to manually
select UTF-8 as the page encoding.

Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect / Manager, Globalization Engineering
webMethods, Inc. | The Business Integration Company
432 Lakeside Drive, Sunnyvale, California, USA
+1 408.962.5487 (phone) +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.