Re: Proposing Fraktur

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 16:01:28 EST

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:24:38PM +0100, Stefan Persson wrote:
> And so what? I thought the meaning of Unicode was that all languages should
> be fully supported in plain text, using one single font to displaying all of
> the characters. With old Swedish, this isn't possible.

No. Coptic and Greek will look odd if put in the same font. Runic and
Linear B should both be used with appropriate fonts for the original
usage, since there was so much variance in glyphs. The French
o-with-acute and Polish o-with-kreska are both encoded as o-with-acute,
but look different in text (the Polish diacritic should be more
vertical.)

Fraktur is not a different script from the Latin script, and therefore is
not encoded seperately.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
What we've got is a blue-light special on truth. It's the hottest thing