Re: Arabic indexes

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 12:50:26 EST

John Cowan wrote,

> Peter M. Bergman, compiler. The concise dictionary of 26
> languages in simultaneous translation. New York: Signet, 1968.
> There is no ISBN, but the L.C. number is 67-14284.

ISBN 0-517-34720-2 (According to the AVENAL 1981 EDITION)

(Sorry, I don't have scan capability either.)

In Persian Grammar by Ann K.S. Lambton (Cambridge, 1957), the
Arabic script portion of the index begins with alef words, the
page numbers are at the right of the words and are western
numerals, the order of the columns and turning pages is western,
too. These anomalies may well be due to the vagaries of western
publishing rather than good Arabic typesetting practice.

Best regards,

James Kass.