Re: Browser support

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 15:30:44 EST

* Herman Ranes

| My observation is that Opera6.0, MSIE6.0 and Mozilla0.9.8(Win)
| interpret not only Win-1252 -tagged 8-bit HTML as Win-1252, but that
| they interpret also US-ASCII and ISO-8859-1 -tagged 8-bit HTML as
| Win-1252.

* Michael Kaplan

| It is highly doubtful that they are supporting 1252 specifically.
| They are probably using CP_ACP (the default system code page).

In the case of Opera this was a conscious decision. We had the choice
between being correct and showing people lots of square boxes where
people (or software) had mislabeled pages, or we could 'cheat' a
little and don't hurt anyone. It was an easy choice, really.

A browser with a market share like MSIE can hope to educate people
(although it will probably be more successful in making them switch
browsers), but a browser in the position Opera is currently in can
just forget about that.

Many users see any display difference between MSIE and Opera as an
Opera 'bug' and are thoroughly resistant to arguments of the form
"this happens because Opera supports standard X correctly, while MSIE
does not".