Re: how can I write an arabic square root- I think I've understood a little.

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 20:24:40 EST

Eric Muller wrote:

> I believe that the current mirrored and mirrored glyph properties are
> useful only when no help can be obtained from the font; otherwise, the
> resolved directionality should be provided to the font, which should
> then select the appropriate shape for each and every character,
> regardless of the mirrored and mirrored glyph properties.

Correct, and this is how the BidiMirroring.txt file is intended: Only if the layout engine+font are not smart enough, as a fallback mechanism.

The file itself says:
# Note that for "real" mirroring, a rendering engine needs to select
# appropriate alternative glyphs, and that many Unicode characters do not
# have a mirror-image Unicode character.

markus