Re: who can make a detail comment about "kSpecializedSemanticVariant"

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 10:45:10 EST

On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 01:55 AM, Sun Guonian wrote:

> Hi, all,
> I am a newbie of this list.
> In unihan3.20, I take notice of that there is 6 types of variant.
> I want to know if the "kSpecializedSemanticVariant" relationship
> is symmetrical, and other 5 types of variant?

There's no guarantee for it.

The kTraditionalVariant and kSimplifiedVariant should be symmetrical with
respect to each other (if U+XXXX is a kTraditionalVariant for U+YYYY, then
U+YYYY should be a kSimplifiedVariant for U+XXXX).

kCompatibilityVariant is expressly *not* symmetrical.

kSemanticVariant should reasonably be symmetrical, but there is no
guarantee. The same is true for kZVariant.

> the second question is,
> what does the x-variant or/and y-variant mean ?

X-variants are two characters with different abstract shapes and different
meanings. Y-variants are characters with the same meaning but different
abstract shapes.

> where can I find more detail reference document about them ?

The Unicode Standard, version 3.0, pp. 262-263.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/