Re: how can I write an arabic square root- I think I've understood a little.

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 20:21:24 EST

Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> This raises a question in my mind: how is an app to know whether the layout
> engine+font are smart enough? ...
> In other words, it seems to me that it must be agreed that an
> app should assume it is handled by Uniscribe/OT, or should assume that it
> is not.

Yes, I think this is it.
If you are on Windows or MacOS (or X/KDE/gnome), or you are using a web UI (browser), then you assume that the layout engine is "smart". If it's not smart enough, complain :-)

If you have an application on a mainframe that writes to a 3270 or 5250, then you assume that the layout it "dumb".
"Dumb" is probably also a good assumption for command-line tools on Unixes, although in theory their output could be piped into a file and displayed with a browser.

markus