Ken's G spot (was Character for e, 2.71828...)

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 15:58:42 EDT

Hi Ken,
I was with you up to this last comment.

I can't think of any reason why you *would* want the constant G to match
with values for G in word searches.

If I wanted to find the use of gravitational formulae in my database or
on the web, narrowing the search for G makes a lot of sense.

Try searching for "GMm" in google, since this is a common element in
gravitational formulae and see how many non-gravitational responses you
get.

I think it makes sense for Unicode to not have a unique character for
every possible constant or semantic nuance that can be invented, but
lets not confuse that with the functionality people would want to have.
A reasonable solution is to capture the semantics in markup or other
ways.

People should recognize that plain text has some limitations. One of
them is the lack of stylistic differentiation. Another is the inability
to distinguish specialized constants from other alphabetics.

tex

Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> In fact, there
> is every reason *not* to have separate characters for them. I
> don't want a "G" for the gravitational constant not to match
> on a text search with the "G" in "Gravity" or "Google".
>
> --Ken

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    the Progress Company
Tel: +1-781-280-4271         http://www.progress.com
Find out about Globalization Empowerment for Progress users
http://www.progress.com/consulting/globalization_empowerment_solutions.htm
For a compelling demonstration for Unicode:
http://www.I18nGuy.com/unicode-example.html