RE: Default endianness of Unicode, or not

From: Yves Arrouye (yves@realnames.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 13:20:10 EDT

> > The last time I read the Unicode standard UTF-16 was big endian
> > unless a BOM was present, and that's what I expected from a UTF-16
> > converter.
>
> Conformance requirement C2 (TUS 3.0, p. 37) says:
>
> "The Unicode Standard does not specify any order of bytes inside a
> Unicode value."

(I posted the previous email hastily it seems.)

But wait. Same page, 3 lines below, conformance requirement C3 says:

"A process shall interpret a Unicode value that has been serialized into a
sequence of bytes by most significant byte first, in the absence of
higher-level protocols."

I read this as saying that by default the byte ordering is big endian. Don't
you?

YA