RE: Default endianness of Unicode, or not

From: Yves Arrouye (yves@realnames.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 21:07:44 EDT

> > So same semantics as before.
>
> Yep. The editorial committee would't be doing its job right
> if it were changing the semantics of the standard.

Agreed! Is there any mention that the non-BOM byte sequence is most
significant byte first anywhere else? You know, for the newbies?

> Joshua 1.8
>
> "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but
> thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest
> observe to do according to all that is written therein: for
> then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt
> have good success." (King James)
>
> -->
>
> "Keep this book of the law on your lips. Recite it by day and
> by night, that you may observe carefully all that is written
> in it; then you will successfully attain your goal."
> (New American Bible)

I think in this case, the semantics change from "meditate" (which implies
reflection and intelligence) to "recite" (as I've done blindly as a student)
is either unfortunate or telling. Pick one. (Not that you can't meditate on
something you know by heart; I just think meditate is better.)

YA

(From Merriam-Webster, http://www.m-w.com/:)

Main Entry: med*i*tate
Pronunciation: 'me-d&-"tAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -tat*ed; -tat*ing
Etymology: Latin meditatus, past participle of meditari, frequentative of
medEri to remedy -- more at MEDICAL
Date: 1560
intransitive senses : to engage in contemplation or reflection
transitive senses
1 : to focus one's thoughts on : reflect on or ponder over
2 : to plan or project in the mind : INTEND, PURPOSE
synonym see PONDER
- med*i*ta*tor /-"tA-t&r/ noun

Main Entry: re*cite
Pronunciation: ri-'sIt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): re*cit*ed; re*cit*ing
Etymology: Middle English, to state formally, from Middle French or Latin;
Middle French reciter to recite, from Latin recitare, from re- + citare to
summon -- more at CITE
Date: 15th century
transitive senses
1 : to repeat from memory or read aloud publicly
2 a : to relate in full <recites dull anecdotes> b : to give a recital of :
DETAIL <recited a catalog of offenses>
3 : to repeat or answer questions about (a lesson)
intransitive senses
1 : to repeat or read aloud something memorized or prepared
2 : to reply to a teacher's question on a lesson
- re*cit*er noun