Re: Unicode Myths

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 18:16:31 EDT

Mark:

A suggestion: On slide 5, I would be inclined not to differentiate
surrogates from non-characters. That only confuses people, I think,
regarding the relationships between codepoints and the various encoding
forms. Even if they are formally still distinguished in the Std, I contend
that they really should *not* be, and that from the perspective of novices
trying to make sense of Unicode, surrogates should be discussed *only* in
terms of code units in the context of a discussion of UTF-16.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>