Re: Concerning proposals

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 18:49:24 EDT

Stefan asked:

> It seems that I have to make a font containing any characters that I want to
> propose for inclusion.

Or provide a font already made by someone else containing them, or get
someone else who has the relevant tools to produce it.

This is a barrier erected for three reasons:

  1. If a proposed character can't pass the font test -- i.e., nobody can
     come up with a usable font that contains it -- then it may be of
     rather marginal usefulness, since apparently people *aren't* using it.
     Of course, historical materials printed with lead type or other
     technologies may be exceptions, if no one has gotten around to
     constructing modern computer fonts for it yet.

  2. It prevents the editors of the standards from being left high and
     dry when it comes time to print the standard. This has been a problem
     in the past, particularly for large collections of complex characters.

  3. Its an assurance of seriousness on the part of the proposer.

> Do the characters have to be encoded to the correct code points, or can they
> be encoded to just about any code point?

No. In fact you cannot know in a proposal to WG2 what the correct code
point will be, since the character hasn't been encoded yet. Symbol-encoded
fonts are fine, particularly for small numbers of characters.

> Is there some free font program out there that can be used for this purpose?

I'll let somebody else on the list who knows about font tools answer
that one.

--Ken