Re: Concerning proposals

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 22:11:36 EDT

At 18:40 4/11/2002,
=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCJG0hOyE7ITshOxsoQiAbJEIkbSE7ITshOxsoQg==?= wrote:

>Why does the printed word get so much more respect than the written word?
>
>It would be like saying that for a spoken language to be accepted into a
>registry, one must make a speech synthesizer for the language.
>
>Are not handwritten glyphs just as valid as printed / typed / computer
>generated ones?

As Ken pointed out, the basic requirement of a font ensures that the
producers of the Unicode book and the online glyph charts have the means to
do their job, and reduces the likelihood that publication will have to be
delayed while they try to find someone to make a font. I think this is
sufficient reason.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

A dinner invitation, once accepted, is a sacred obligation.
If you die before the dinner takes place, your executor
must attend.
                               - Ward McAllister