RE: MS/Unix BOM FAQ again (small fix)

From: Lars Kristan (lars.kristan@hermes.si)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 08:00:11 EDT

George W Gerrity wrote:
> _All_ of these accessing methods are
> either bit-serial or byte-serial, transmitting the most significant
> bit of the most significant byte first, and the little/big-endian
> storage in the RAM receiving buffers is done correctly by the target
> machine.

As for bits, it can be either most significant first or least significant
first, but this is only important in serial communication. And fortunately,
there are many reasons why we usually don't need to bother with the choice
for this.

As for bytes - well, which is the most significant byte?! Your statement is
wrong there. Transmission is done by memory address, not by significance.
Low to high, of course.

The fact that processor architectures store data types larger that 8 bits in
two ways is what causes the problem here. And if it wasn't for performance,
the byte order could be standardized.

Lars Kristan