Re: Please help: Unicode sig in Hotmail

From: Ben Monroe (bendono@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 12:29:01 EDT

From: "Shlomi Tal" <shlompi@hotmail.com>

> I've built a UTF-8 sig for my outgoing messages:
>
> with Unicode symbols from the U+26xx block. However, it doesn't show up at
> all: neither in Compose, nor when I send a message to myself, nor when I
> send a message to someone else.
>
> Please tell me how I can put it right.

As far as I know, Hotmail, when sent from the web interface at
www.hotmail.com , skips the charset= line in the English interface. Most of
the e-mail I read and write are in Japanese, so I had some problems at one
time. I tried various things and noticed that if you change the interface
language (Options --> Language), Hotmail inserts a charset= line common
with that language. Two test messages sent a few minutes ago confirm this:

  Japanese interface: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp;
  format=flowed
  English interface: Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed

The problem is that Hotmail is leaving off the charset= line in English mode
and does not provide a convenient method to set it to what you wish. Perhaps
one of the other interface languages always uses UTF-8? Perhaps you can try
this out, though I doubt it. One way that you can force a charset= line
(UTF-8 in your case) is to not to use the web interface but to do your
Hotmail e-mail through Outlook Express or one of the other compatible
programs. Sending Hotmail messages from Outlook Express does retain the
charset= line that is set (View --> Encoding --> xxx) , but then you loose
the web interface.

Good luck,

Ben Monroe