Re: Getting Private Use Area characters to display in Internet Explorer

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 02:50:26 EDT

Can you say please whether the font that you are using has the characters
assigned to private use area code points within the font itself?

If one uses Microsoft Word 97 to prepare a document file then uses Save
as HTML then if the codes are in the font, then the numbers for the codes
should appear in the HTML source code that is produced.

A way to observe what happens with the use of private use area
characters is to use Microsoft Word 97 to produce a document where an fi
ligature character is added from the Insert | Symbol dialogue box. Some
fonts have fi in twice, once in the private use area and once in the
alphabetic presentation forms. A good test is to include both versions of
the fi ligature in the document and observe the source code of the HTML file
that is produced.

William Overington