Re: Concerning proposals

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 11:07:12 EDT

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 07:50:06AM +0100, William Overington wrote:
> Does that word "may" mean that the committees have the right to do
> so,

"May" means it is possible. You're reading way too much into the word.

> A states that that
> is why A put the characters in the End User Subarea in the first place, so
> as to avoid any possibility of the committees having any right to promote
> them.

Well, A can do what A wants, but I don't think the committee really
cares whether or not they're in the End User Subarea.

> For example, please consider the board game in the scenario. A claims that
> the 32 glyphs are copyright works of art. Are they?

Possibly. If the game has been played long enough and by enough people
to be encoded, there are probably standard representations of the pieces
that aren't copyight. Sort of like the way certain glyphs for LATIN
CAPITAL A may be copyright, but the basic concept isn't. I'm not
familiar with any law that would copyright a character; you would have
to use trademark to protect a character.

> If A were to agree
> that the 32 characters could be included in regular Unicode, would A's
> intellectual property rights be eroded?

Apple apparently thought so, with the Apple symbol.

> Is it the case that if A does not
> agree, that if someone else tries to market a font containing designs for
> A's characters, whether as characters at U+E200 through to U+E21F or at some
> other code points, without A's permission that A could gain damages for
> infringement of copyright?

Assuming that A had copyright or trademark in them, of course.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.