RE: Tahoma font for Arabic on the Web is BAD!

From: Shlomi Tal (shlompi@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 08:59:58 EDT

>From: Marco Cimarosti <marco.cimarosti@essetre.it>

>I wonder about the correctness of some other common Windows fonts, such as
>Courier New and Arial.
>
>Are Arabic letters in thes fonts clear and correctly drawn? Do they also
>have the problem with lower dots and underline?
>
>Thanks.
>
>_ Marco

Courier New has the same problem with lower dots and underline, so watch out
for hyperlinks between <PRE> tags.

Also, Arabic diacriticals (vowels, shaddah etc) display correctly only in
originally-designed Arabic fonts - Simplified Arabic and Traditional Arabic.
In other fonts, such as Times New Roman, the diacriticals often merge with
the consonants, with an unreadable result. FatHataan + Alif (-an, the
accusative/adverbial ending) is a common example.