Re: What characters have baseline?

From: Vladimir Ivanov (iranorus@online.ru)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 01:59:04 EDT

Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> BTW, I heard strange things about baselines, such as that the baseline for
> Indic fonts should be near the top of letters, while for good Arabic
> typography it should be oblique. Can someone confirm these notions?

The baseline of Arabic (in general meaning) typographical fonts (Nasx) is
horizontal and must be aligned to the Latin-Cyrillic-Greek baseline.

Beside that handwritten scripts like Nastaliq or Tahriri have an oblique
baseline for each word. The angle of that secondary baseline is 27.5º, like
this:

Vladimir Ivanov