browsers and unicode surrogates

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 00:59:09 EDT

I have added a couple more variations of the Unicode supplementary
characters example page, for utf-16 and utf-32.

I thought that because support for utf-8 supplementary characters was
weak, that utf-16 would be weaker.
So I was surprised that Netscape 4.7 displays the UTF-16 page.

I didn't find any browser (of IE, Netscape, Opera) that displays utf-32.
(I view it locally so transmission of nulls wasn't an issue.)

Links to the example pages are at:
http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/unicode-example-intro.html

If there is interest in a utf-16 version of the BMP page I can add that
as well.

tex

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    the Progress Company
Tel: +1-781-280-4271         http://www.progress.com
"The world writes in my database!" Progress Exchange 2002
http://www.progress.com/exchange/labs.htm#globalization
Globalization Empowerment for Progress users
http://www.progress.com/consulting/globalization_empowerment_solutions.htm