Re: browsers and unicode surrogates

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 10:40:21 EDT

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 06:27:36AM -0700, Tom Gewecke wrote:
> I had the impression that it was not really practical to use web pages with
> these encodings over the internet, because they do not preserve ascii and
> are not compatible with html. Could someone enlighten me on this?

html has no such requirement. You can send EBCDIC across the net,
provided your web server sends the right Content-Type. As a practial
manner, most web browsers can detect and handle UTF-16, especially if
it's preceded by a BOM. (It is still required to add a Content-Type to
the header or have it sent by server, although this may not be true in
practice.)

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.