Re: browsers and unicode surrogates

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 11:20:46 EDT

Jim, thanks for all the info.
I would prefer to not clutter filenames with encodings and locales, and
the remainder I need to coordinate with my ISP. I'll talk to them and
see what they let me do.

tex

"James H. Cloos Jr." wrote:

> Tex> I am surprised by the "must only be used". It seems I am not
> Tex> conforming by including a meta statement in the utf-16 HTML
> Tex> page. I should either remove the statement or encode the HTML up
> Tex> to and including that statement as ascii. I'll check on this.
>
> Since you are using apache, it is quite easy to get the extra headers
> sent at the protocol level rather than having to use meta tags.
>
> You can use a Header directive in an .htaccess file a la:
>
> <Files foobar.html>
> Header set Content-Language en-US
> Header set Content-Type text/html; charset=UTF-8
> </Files>
>
> Or, you can use mod_cern_meta to put the extra headers in a
> foo.html.meta file. (The actual filename suffix can be set in the
> .htaccess file or the main server conf files.)
>
> There are other ways as well. Apache will already (if you use the
> default configs) add the Content-Language header if you use a filename
> like foo.en.html. You could have it also add the charset via a
> similar mechanism. Something like:
>
> AddCharset UTF-8 utf8
>
> will make foobar.en.utf-8.html send the headers:

> given the default configs for language and type extensions.
>
> Hmmm. Looking at a recent install of SuSE, using their apache rpm,
> .utf8 is already configured as an extension to set charset=UTF8, so
> you could try just renaming the file to eg:
>
> http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-plane1.utf8.html
>
> to set the charset. You'd have to add your own AddCharset directives
> for UTF-16 and UTF-32.
>
> -JimC

Tex Texin                    Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com    the Progress Company
Tel: +1-781-280-4271         http://www.progress.com
"The world writes in my database!" Progress Exchange 2002
http://www.progress.com/exchange/labs.htm#globalization
Globalization Empowerment for Progress users
http://www.progress.com/consulting/globalization_empowerment_solutions.htm
A compelling demonstration for Unicode:
http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/unicode-example-intro.html