Re: browsers and unicode surrogates

From: Stefan Persson (alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 16:22:56 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <jshin@mailaps.org>
Sent: den 22 april 2002 20:24
Subject: Re: browsers and unicode surrogates

> Thank you for this tip. I didn't know this and ended up
> 'cluttering' my filenames with charset suffices at
> <http://jshin.net/i18n/utftest>.

The following pages display Korean text:

* All UTF-16 with BOM
* All UTF-32LE with BOM
* UTF-16LE without BOM, encoding specified as UTF-16

The following pages are displayed as Latin-1 jibberish, ASCII displayed
properly:
* UTF-16 without BOM, encoding specified as UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, or not
specified at all
* All UTF-32BE
* All UTF-32LE without BOM

This page is misinterpreted as UTF-16LE without line breaking:
* UTF-16BE without BOM, encoding specified as UTF-16

I'm using IE 5.5 under Windows 98.

Stefan