Re: Welcome to list 'unicode'

From: Shlomi Tal (shlompi@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 07:46:41 EDT

MS-Word 2000 and upwards use Unicode (to be more specific, UTF-16
little-endian). Earlier than that (97 and downwards) are still based on
codepages, according to their versions (for example Hebrew MS-Word 97 stores
strings in the Windows-1255 codepage; other languages can be typed and saved
if you have the input method, as I did when I had Word 97 on my Win2K
system, but they are stored as an easily-corrupted extended encoding. I
upgraded to Word 2000 after Word 97 had corrupted all my Arabic text).