Re: Greek Extended: question: missing glyphs?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 23:05:34 EDT

On Monday, April 29, 2002, at 08:37 PM, Pim Rietbroek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please forgive me if this question has been raised before: I am a newbie
> on this list.
>
> I am looking into the Unicode standard for the encoding of Classical
> Greek. While both the Greek and the Greek Extended ranges of the current
> Unicode Standard seem to cover most of the essentials, it looks strange
> to me that there some Greek extended glyphs have not been defined. They
> are:
>
> 1) GREEK CAPITAL LETTER UPSILON WITH PSILI
> 2) GREEK CAPITAL LETTER UPSILON WITH PSILI AND VARIA
> 3) GREEK CAPITAL LETTER UPSILON WITH PSILI AND OXIA
> 4) GREEK CAPITAL LETTER UPSILON WITH PSILI AND PERISPOMENI

"Reserved" means "don't use it."

Yes, they're missing as precomposed forms, but you can always represent
them using combining sequences. No, there's no point in asking for them.
Unicode cannot add new precomposed accented Latin, Greek, or Cyrillic
letters because it screw up normalization. Use the actual upsilon capital
letter followed by the appropriate breathing and accent marks.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/