RE: Ie abbreviation character

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 05:56:55 EDT

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> | I've been looking for the the character used in Norwegian (and
> | possibly elsewhere) as an abbreviation for "that is to
> say", "in other
> | words", "i.e.". It looks like a reversed lower-case "c"
> followed by a
> | colon.
>
> * Otto Stolz
> |
> | You mean “ɔ:”?
>
> That is: U+0254 U+003A. (Open o, or turned c, followed by colon.)
>
> Kind of, but it's a single character.

What makes you say that it is a "single character"? From your description,
it sounds like it is just a single symbol.

A symbol can sometimes be made of a single character (e.g. "#" or "$"),
sometimes of a sequence of characters (e.g. "i.e." or "Km").

> Kind of, but it's a single character. I take it this means that it's
> not encoded in Unicode?

I think it depends whether or not it is identical to a (sequence of) Unicode
character(s), and whether or not there are reasons to logically distinguish
it from this (sequence of) Unicode character(s).

Can you show a scan of the symbol from printed matter?

> Does anyone know of an international name for this character, or any
> use of it outside Norway?

What's its name in Norwegian?

_ Marco