display issue on mac

From: Bahman Zakeri (Bahman.Zakeri@doit.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 15:13:30 EDT

I'm working on a web based language project that involves Russian and
Spanish. I have successfully created pages using utf-8 for Spanish, the
pages show up fine in both IE and NS on both Mac and pc. However,
Russian characters have an extra spacing on Mac in both browsers (no
problem on pc).
T h e c h a r a c t e r s l o o k l I k e t h I s there is no
actual space between them. I have been testing on OS X using IE 5.1 and
NS 6.2. This page has the same issue
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/translations/russian.html .
I have spent more than 10 hours trying to figure out the problem, this
is my last hope.